As the title implies, this site will continually update changes and trends in anger management services, research,referrals and provider training. In addition, books,CDs,videos and DVDs used in anger management programs will be introduced.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence

Recently, an executive coaching client, who was also a physician, asked me what the experience of coaching doctors was like for me. The question caught me off guard; I truthfully told him this was something I had never thought about, so I’d have to think about it. After a few minutes, I said: “It’s a real gratifying experience. For me it’s like having offspring, who you nurture, mentor, send off to college, and watch them prosper and grow. You follow their progress and take pride in their accomplishments. It’s like being a proud parent to a large family.” On further reflection, it is why I can’t retire; I love what I do, primarily for the daily appreciation I receive from my work.

A great deal of my work has to do with helping people develop Emotional Intelligence. What I most like about emotional intelligence, or EQ, is that it’s applicable to almost everyone who is interested in improving his or her ability to more comfortably relate to others in any setting.

EQ is the ability to sense, intuitively understand, and effectively apply the power of emotions as a source of human energy, information, trust, creativity and influence. It is the ability to notice your own feelings and identify their source. Once this occurs, you have identified one of the most powerful of the body’s’ intelligences.

Experts in emotional intelligence contend that, when emotional sources are explored and freely experienced, there is the greatest opportunity to develop your unique potential and follow the directions in you work and life that have meaning. This will deepen your relationships, strengthen your leadership talents, and ignite your creative spirit.

The second important feature of emotional intelligence is Emotional Awareness of Others. This is essentially your ability to hear, sense, or intuit what other people may be feeling from their words, their body language, or other direct or indirect cues.

What is neat about emotional intelligence is that in contrast to IQ, it is not static, frozen, nor limited. Anyone who is motivated and willing to change can be taught the skills needed to increase emotional intelligence, recognize and manage anger, recognize and manage stress, and improve assertive communication. All of these skills will lead to an increase in emotional intelligence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home