As the title implies, this site will continually update changes and trends in anger management services, research,referrals and provider training. In addition, books,CDs,videos and DVDs used in anger management programs will be introduced.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Iraqi War Veterans Need Anger Management

I want to draw to the attention of every member of the American Association of American Anger Management Providers, as well as those who seek anger management facilitator certification, to an issue of high importance. The problem of inappropriate anger pervades American society; however, there is a special group of people I believe that anger management providers nationwide should pay special attention to—the returning Iraqi war veterans. The Department of Veterans Affairs has published the Iraqi War Clinician’s Guide. This guide is available on the internet. I recommend that every anger management provider read chapter 10 entitled-Assessment and Treatment of Anger in combat-related PTSD.

The treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is within the domain of licensed mental health professionals. However, as first responders in anger management, collaborating with theses professionals is within the scope of the practice of Certified Anger Management Facilitators. This fact was further revealed in the clinician guide I referred to earlier. The guide described recommended interventions that may be appropriate for managing anger problems in the Iraqi War veteran.

It was no surprise that the two fundamental pillars of interventions recommended were stress management and communication skills. These pillars are also part of the foundation of the globally accepted Anderson and Anderson model, which maintains that effective anger management involves teaching not only anger management, but also communication skills, emotional intelligence and stress management. All providers who are trained in the world renowned Anderson and Anderson model are therefore uniquely positioned to be of service to their country in assisting their fellow citizens (former soldiers).

As President of the American Association of Anger Management Providers, I urge all providers to recognize that your training places you among the most highly trained individuals globally in anger management. Therefore, for those of you who live in states where there are high concentrations of Iraqi veterans, I encourage you to increase your visibility and collaborate with licensed mental health clinicians in your community to provide a much needed service to the Veterans of this war. Provide the message that those trained in the Anderson and Anderson model are uniquely positioned to collaborate with licensed mental health professionals to intervene on the behalf of those who have fought for our country.

For those who need training in the globally acclaimed Anderson and Anderson model, training is often held in California. However, George Anderson-the internationally recognized guru on anger management-will be at Jackson State University on June 20, 2007 to provide anger management certification training. Visit www.andersonservices.com to register, or call 310-207-3591.

Carlos Todd, LPC, NCC, CAMF
President of the American Association of Anger Management Providers
www.angerhurts.com
www.andersonservices.com
www.aaamp.org

3 Comments:

Blogger John Elder, MFT said...

Just a minor quibble. Let's not refer to them as "Iraqi War Veterans." I've been told on several occasions (by veterans) that they are "Veterans who served in [theater of operations]. An Iraqi War Veteran implies a combatant who signed on only to do battle in Iraq. A veteran who served in Iraq indicates a professional soldier whose service was in that country.

I am curious about the self-rated anger levels of people who read these blogs. Check out my anger level poll and see how you compare with other browsers.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger bacchusix said...

I am an OIF and OEF veteran. I have never been and angry person in my life, in fact I've always been pretty laid back, but since I've been back from Iraq, I have been spiraling out of control for what I would call rage more than anger. I've been having problems talking with people, especially women, and it seems like I slip further and further from people I use to love and hang out with a lot before I left. I realized I've had anger issues since I've been back, but recently while fixing a plumbing issue, I exploded liked I have been lately and just became extremely violent; I whipped a wrench across the room, almost hitting my roommate (not on purpose, just bad timing). I saw true terror in his eyes like he didn't know if I was going to kill him right there where he stood. This person who came back is not me, and I don't like him much. Don't let vets tell you they aren't effected, we are trained not to show weakness, but I see the same issues with almost every one in my unit.

10:38 PM

 
Blogger Seabee said...

SeaBee
2 tours IRQ
1 tour PAK
Convoy Security

Bacchusix, put it best when he stated, "This person who came back is not me, and I don't like him much".
I nearly killed my father with a k-bar, because I felt shame when he found me passed out bearly breathing from an over-dose. I have physically assaulted my girlfriend twice. During this last assault I picked up a razor and started to cut myself (neck and wrist).
I go from 1 to 100 in a blink of an eye. I don't want to hurt anyone else. I feel like a monster, a freak; someone that only diserves to live in the combat zone until they (I) die.
I have had enough of this. I need help, I am despirate.
For five years I helped keep my loved ones safe, now all I do is hurt them physically and mentally. I am going to a treatment facility in a couple of weeks (13th july, MNPLS, MN). I am scared that it will not work on me and I will come out just as F**ked up as when I entered.
I am scared for myself and everyone around me. Until I am well I plan on keeping my distance from the ones I care about. I need this treatment to work or I will NOT go back to my supportive Girlfriend for I am too scared that I will just hurt her again. I love her very much, I miss her, I would be forced to let her go. I want her to live the life that I helped fight and protect for her and everyone in the United States.
I appologize for my spelling. I just wanted to let people know that this is an issues that needs to be fixed.

9:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home